10900 Hefner Pointe Dr., Ste. 101
Oklahoma City, OK 73120
Phone: (405) 842-6060
Monday–Thursday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.–12 p.m.
Visian ICL™ FAQs
What is Visian ICL™?
The Visian ICL™ (Implantable Collamer Lens) is an advanced soft-material lens composed of 100% biocompatible collagen copolymer. It provides UV protection and permanent vision correction, while giving patients a quality of vision that is sharper, clearer, and more vivid than that what one can achieve with glasses or contacts. Visian ICL™ procedure is an additive procedure, unlike LASIK that permanently alters the shape of your cornea. There is no maintenance associated with the lens, and it is intended to remain in place as long as you are satisfied with your vision. If at any point your vision changes or you wish to have them removed, it can be done easily and without compromising your current vision whatsoever.
What are the advantages of Visian ICL™?
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45, and suffer from a moderate to severe degree of nearsightedness with or without astigmatism, then you may be a candidate for this great procedure and the advantages it provides. These include:
- Immediate vision improvement at all distances – reducing or eliminating the need for glasses or contacts.
- High Definition Vision – You can enjoy a new level of vision correction that’s sharper, clearer, more vivid, and has greater depth and dimension. Night driving is also improved with no induction of halos or glare.
- Designed to be Permanent, Yet is Removable – One of the important advantages of the Visian ICL™ is that while it can permanently correct your vision, the lens can be removed and/or replaced if necessary. Also, concerns involving the cornea typically do not apply to the Visian ICL™, as no natural corneal tissue is permanently removed or reshaped in any way during implantation.
- Short Recovery Time – The recovery for the Visian ICL™ is quick and pain-free, and may be as little as one day, due to the very small size of the opening required. Patients typically experience minimal discomfort, and many times go back to work the next day.
- UV Protection – Long-term exposure to UV radiation can damage your eyes; and longer term or more intense exposure increases the chance of eye disorders including the development of cataracts and some retinal problems. As an added feature, the Visian ICL™ advanced lens material contains a UV blocker that actually prevents harmful UVA and UVB rays from entering the eye, possibly preventing the development of UV related eye disorders.
- Treatment Flexibility for the Future – Your vision changes as you grow older and eventually almost everyone will need cataract surgery. An important benefit with the Visian ICL™ is that you have options for future treatments. Because Visian ICL™ maintains the structure of the eye, the lens can be removed and replaced if your vision changes substantially, or if you have another procedure at any time.
- Simplification of Life – There is no daily maintenance as with traditional contact lenses, and no concern of problems from daily activities such as swimming and sports.
- LASIK Alternative – Patients who have corneas too thin or prescriptions too high for LASIK can still live a life glasses free thanks to this procedure.
How is the procedure performed?
The Visian ICL™ procedure is an outpatient procedure that generally takes around 15 minutes. Prior to the procedure you will receive topical anesthesia drops to minimize discomfort. Then the doctor creates a micro opening to insert the lens into the eye with an injector. Once the lens is injected, it unfolds in the eye and the procedure is complete. The micro opening self-seals without the needs for sutures. Patients experience an immediate improvement in vision and are “wowed” by the results.
Who is a candidate for Visian ICL™?
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45 and nearsighted, you may be an excellent candidate for the Visian ICL™. This procedure is able to treat a range of patients from low to extremely high refractive errors and is especially beneficially to those with thin corneas and dry eyes. The Visian ICL™ can now treat nearsightedness and astigmatism at the same time. If you have both astigmatism and nearsightedness, Visian® Toric ICL may be a great option. It is preferable that the patient has not undergone any ophthalmic surgery and does not have a history of eye disease such as iritis, glaucoma, or diabetic retinopathy.
Who is NOT a candidate for Visian ICL™?
At nJoy Vision, we always recommend you undergo a vision consultation to determine the best vision correction plan for you. If the Visian ICL™ is not right for you, other options are available. Vision ICL may not be the best course of action for:
- Patients whose eye prescription has changed significantly in the last six months
- Patients without enough posterior corneal cell density
- Patients with an anterior chamber depth of less than 3.00mm
- Patients who are pregnant or nursing
- Patients with uncontrolled dry eye or blepharitis
- Patients with corneal endothelial dystrophy
Is the Visian ICL™ FDA approved?
Yes. The Visian ICL™ received approval from the FDA for a wide range of myopic (nearsightedness) correction needs, with and without astigmatism.
The Visian ICL™ received FDA approval in 2005 to treat a wide range of myopia.
What is the track record of the Visian ICL™?
Extensive research and development preceded the introduction of the Visian ICL™. It is now being used by more than 500,000 patients worldwide. The satisfaction rate among patients is extremely high – above 99%. The Visian ICL™ provides unparalleled quality of vision and has excellent and stable outcomes for patients with mild to severe myopia. The Visian ICL™ has been available internationally for over 20 years.
Can the Visian ICL™ be removed from my eye?
Although the lens is intended to remain in place permanently, a surgeon can remove the implant if necessary.
Is the Visian ICL™ visible to others?
No. The Visian ICL™ is positioned behind the iris (the colored part of the eye), where it is invisible to both you and observers.
Will I be able to feel the Visian ICL™ once it is in place?
The Visian ICL™ is designed to be completely unobtrusive after it is put in place. It stays in position by itself and does not interact with any of the eye’s structures.
If I’m interested in the Visian ICL™, what are my next steps?
Feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have, or to schedule your free consultation to discover if the Visian ICL™ or an alternative vision correction procedure is right for you.Back to Top